Saturday, August 28, 2010

Simple last minute "1st Day of school" party for your Kindergartner

As a parent, we all dread that first day of school for your new kindergartner. Exspecially if you have been a stay at home mom and they have been at home with you their entire short life. I know when my oldest started school, I was a mess!!! I mean I was holding back tears like she was going to war. That lump in my throat grew bigger and bigger, and I just knew I was going to break under the pressure. Just watching her big eyes fill up with tears, and she trying her best not to burst out in tears, just made it even worse.  I just wanted to grab her and not let go. They will have to pull us apart like the scene in Color Purple where Mista was trying to pull Nettie and Cellie apart. "You and me us neva' part". LOL, Baaaaby, It was awful!
 Happy to say that today Jasmine recently turned 10 and was not traumatized by that huge milestone 5 years ago.
 But while I was at home with my second daughter Keyana, who was almost 3 at the time. We really didn't know what to do with ourselves, seeing that we were used to Jasmine been there. So I came up with the idea of having a small party, (just us) to commemorate Jasmine starting school. Also I knew it would make her a little more excited about school. So we made quick trip to the store to get some cake mix and icing. Came back home, baked and decorated a little. I just draped streamers in the hallway leading to the party table.
 I then covered the table with a tablecloth and sprinkled confetti and went upstairs to her room and invited some fun guest. I got some of her favorite stuffed animals and sat them around the table around the cupcakes. I also added her hospital picture when she born. And out the door I went to pick her up.
 When we arrived back home I let her enter first. And said to her before she got all the way in "look whose here", she came around the corner in suspense wondering what I was talking about. She was soo surprised.

So this is just quick little something you can put together and your child will love it. Not saying that the second day of school will be better for them or you, but those cupcakes will do the trick for now.
The Table

The hallway



Jasmine coming down the hall



Blowing out her 1st day of school candle



I also did the same for Keyana when she started school in 2008. She is now 7 years old

Keyana's Table


Keyana


Keyana blowing out her candles


Keyana enjoying a well deserved cupcake




1 comment:

  1. Love the photos.

    Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete